Sunday, July 15, 2012

"50 Years of Rock 'n' Roll"

This past Thursday marked the 50th anniversary of the Rolling Stones' first concert, which was at London's Marquee Jazz Club. Of the lineup that survived the '60s, only Mick and Keith were involved, but the date still offers a moment to reflect on the band's legacy. Here is a look-back by author and journalist David Browne. And below are some posts I wrote that deal with the Stones in one fashion or another:
- "My favorite song at the moment" - It was "Under My Thumb," which I confessed with a certain degree of unease.
- "More on 'Under My Thumb' and 'Run for Your Life'" - I compared these two wicked, addictive songs.
- "'Death came to the party'" - I assessed the documentary Gimme Shelter.
. . .
There's obviously a lot of history between The Beatles and the Stones, much of which revolves around the supposed rivalry they had. I won't go into any of that here. Instead, I'll draw attention to the most direct and friendly connection between the two bands: "I Wanna Be Your Man." John and Paul wrote it, but they gave it to the Stones for their second single.
"I Wanna Be Your Man":
(If the video is removed, go here.)
Here's The Beatles' version:
(If the video is removed, go here.)

No comments: