Monday, September 6, 2010

Melanie Coe: the one who left home

As I was doing some research yesterday on "She's Leaving Home," I found this quasi-profile of Melanie Coe, the British woman whose brief stint as a teenage runaway in 1967 inspired "Home," the touching, string-driven ballad on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Read the piece; Coe's life has been anything but boring.

Excerpt:
Amazingly, McCartney's reading of her escape in the newspapers was not the first time he had come across her.

"I first met Paul when I was 13 on the pop show Ready Steady Go!

"He presented me with first prize for miming to Brenda Lee's Let's Jump The Broomstick, which meant I danced on the show for a year," says Melanie.

"We had spent a long day in the studio filming. John Lennon was aloof and unapproachable, Paul shook our hands but Ringo and George were sweethearts, chatting to us all day.

No comments: