Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Celebrating Macca's work

Over the weekend, rollingstone.com's Rock and Roll Daily section marked the occasion of Paul's 67th birthday by making him the subject of its "Weekend Rock List." Here's what the RS folks came up with as a sampling of their most cherished Macca tunes from any stage of his career. And here's the Readers' List. May I mention, hopefully without too much of a self-interested tone, that neither list features "I've Just Seen a Face," which happens to be the only dominantly Paul song that I had on my circumscribed menu of underappreciated Beatles songs. I'm really not sure how something so beautifully rendered can fall under the radar.

If I was to lay out my dozen favorite Paul songs (that is, Beatles songs on which Paul supplies the lead vocal), the following would likely make the cut (in no particular order): "I Saw Her Standing There," "When I'm 64," "Rocky Raccoon," "Here, There and Everywhere," "You Never Give Me Your Money," "Hey Jude," "Two of Us," "I've Just Seen a Face," "For No One," "Martha My Dear," "I Will," and "Michelle."

No comments: