Saturday, June 27, 2009

Mea culpa, James Ray, etc.

Several days ago, an anonymous reader commented on my post from January about "Got My Mind Set on You." He or she corrected me on my mistaken assertion that George Harrison had written the song. That distinction actually falls on Rudy Clark, an American songwriter of the '60s and '70s who was also responsible for "The Shoop Shoop Song (It's in His Kiss)." And an R&B singer named James Ray was the first to record it. Here's the youtube of that version:



(If the video is removed, go here.)

I certainly still prefer Harrison's take. It's a more immediate and joyous affair, and the way that its various elements cleanly and energetically coalesce makes for a magnetic appeal. Ray's version, though, is far from a dud, especially in terms of the vocals. Very natural and limber.

No comments: