Thursday, July 29, 2010

Great non-Beatles song...

... with a random Beatles reference. Correction: In the song, there are actually two Beatles references (two that are explicit, anyway), neither of which is random. How could they be when the band I'm about to discuss is Oasis? The Brothers Gallagher have always owned up to their obsession with The Beatles, and their music provides ample evidence of it. Oasis' body of work is indeed shot through with nods to John, Paul, George and Ringo. Mainly John, though. One of the group's finest songs, "Don't Look Back in Anger," houses a couple of unmistakable references to the man whom Liam once claimed he is the reincarnation of. (Chutzpah, thy name is....) First, the piano part that introduces "Anger" seems to have been lifted directly from "Imagine;" Wikipedia mentions "Watching the Wheels" as well. Second, Noel has confessed that he filched, from a cassette that contained musings of John's, the line, "So I start a revolution from my bed/Cause you said the brains I had went to my head." A bit shameless, yes, but I can't argue with the results: "Don't Look Back in Anger" is a classic of '90s pop-rock, and that chorus - "So Sally can wait...." - is all kinds of stirring.

The music: Piano introduction
The line: "So I start a revolution from my bed/Cause you said the brains I had went to my head."
The song: "Don't Look Back in Anger."



(If the video is removed, go here.)

No comments: