Sunday, December 20, 2009

Jules on "The Early Show," etc.

I meant to do a post on this last week, but failed to for whatever reason. Diminished relevance aside, this article nicely summarizes Julian Lennon's recent interview with CBS News and his appearance on The Early Show. It also features video of him both discussing and performing his new single, "Lucy."

As the excerpt below makes clear, Julian was very forthcoming in the interview about how strained the relationship between him and his father was even long after the ex-Beatle's death in 1980.

Excerpt:
He told CBS News working on "Everything Changes" and on "Luch" helped him come to grips with his relationship with his father and finally find forgiveness.

"With Dad running off and divorcing Mum," Julian said, "I had a lot of bitterness and anger I was living with. In the past, I had said I had forgiven Dad, but it was only words. It wasn't until the passing of my friend Lucy and the writing of this song that really helped me forgive my father.

"I realized if I continued to feel that anger and bitterness towards my dad, I would have a constant cloud hanging over my head my whole life.

"After recording the song "Lucy," almost by nature, it felt right to fulfill the circle, forgive dad, put the pain, anger and bitterness in the past, and focus and appreciate the good things.

"Writing is therapy for me and, for the first time in my life, I'm actually feeling it and believing it. It also has allowed me to actually embrace Dad and the Beatles."

No comments: