Monday, March 22, 2010

Post-Beatles greatness

Ed Masley of The Arizona Republic took a stab at compiling the ten best Beatles solo albums. Here are the results.

Inevitably, such a list is going to be greeted with contrary opinions (just look at the comments), and I myself would make some major changes to what Masley arrived at. Band on the Run should be much closer to the top; Ringo probably deserves to be included; and several of those Wings' albums just don't belong. And, respectfully, I must also disagree with this comment from Masley's summary of Imagine: "... 'How Do You Sleep?' takes the shine off his (John's) halo with a vicious swipe at Paul McCartney." Yes, that song was cheap and hateful, but John never had a halo to sully in the first place. Not even close, in fact.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with your assessment. I actually would have put "All Things must Pass" as number one, though. But this list should have included "Ringo" and I also think it's missing McCartney's "Flaming Pie" and Harrison's "George Harrison". Too many Wings albums for sure.

Barry Lenser said...

With the exception of "Double Fantasy," every choice there was from the '70s. Some more recent albums were definitely deserving. You mentioned "Flaming Pie;" I'd probably go with "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard."