Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Two covers of "It Won't Be Long"

Following up on my post about "It Won't Be Long," below I've embedded two covers of the song, one by Franz Ferdinand and the other by Evan Rachel Wood from the movie Across the Universe. I've linked to the Franz rendition once before, and as I alluded to at the time, it doesn't quite come together. This could be a product of the song being live: it's lacking, critically, in crispness. Perhaps a studio version would have better served Franz. I also don't care much for the cover from Across the Universe. Though Evan Rachel Wood is a capable singer, her vocal has the effect of making me yearn for John's. Maybe the material just better suits a male vocalist.

You can listen to both below and form your own judgments.

Franz Ferdinand:


Evan Rachel Wood:


(If either of the embeddings is disabled, go here and here, respectively).

No comments: